In the attached communication of May 26, 2015, we advised you of the transition of Industry Sponsored proposals and awards to UCI Applied Innovation (formerly the UCI Institute for Innovation); the realignment of SPA teams by creating a Federal and a Non-Federal group; and the creation of a Clinical Trials group within SPA. We also advised you that the process for routing proposals in Kuali Coeus (“KC”) would not immediately change and that you should continue to enter proposals into KC by specifying the appropriate team (A, B, C or D) until such time as we were able to modify KC to reflect the above changes.
We are pleased to announce that we have completed our efforts to modify KC such that your proposals will now be automatically assigned to one of the following groups when created in KC and will be assigned and routed to a specific Officer within the respective group after receipt and preliminary review:
· Industry Contract Officers: Proposals and Awards (excluding clinical trials) for which a for-profit entity (“Industry”) is involved, either as the sole funding source, the prime award recipient in the case of Federal and other flow-through funding or the original source of funds.
· Federal Officers: Proposals to Federal Agencies and Incoming Awards from Federal Agencies.
· Non-Federal Officers: Proposals to Non-Profit Organizations, Educational Institutions, UC Campuses(including those for UC Programs), and DOE Laboratories and Incoming awards from Non-Profit Organizations, Educational Institutions, UC Campuses(including those for UC Programs), and DOE Laboratories.
· Industry Clinical Trials: Proposals and resulting Awards for Clinical Trials that are directly or indirectly funded by a for-profit entity (“Industry”).
· Principal Contracts and Grants Officers: Proposals to State and Local Governmental Agencies and resulting Awards.
Please note that proper assignment of the group by KC will be dependent on accurate entry of certain key data fields. Specifically, “activity type” and “sponsor Code” must be entered accurately and “Prime Sponsor ID cannot be blank in instances where the proposal will result in a subaward to UCI.
We are equally pleased to announce that the Research Administration Staff Listing currently located at https://apps.research.uci.edu/orastaff/staff.cfm?view_department=spda will also be updated to reflect the Officer assigned to your specific department for each of the above listed groups.
The above referenced revisions will be launched on the night of October 21, 2015 and should be operational on the morning of October 22, 2015. Additionally, specific information regarding these changes, including the new link for the Research Administration Staff Listing, will be forthcoming from your SPA eRA Team.
Please forward this information to faculty and staff in your unit that will be impacted by this change.
We sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding during this transition period and hope that these enhancements will be more intuitive, providing a clearer path for you to quickly identify the specific Unit, Group and Officer who will provide service for your Sponsored Project needs.
For your information, I’ve attached contact information for the Industry Sponsored Research Staff, SPA’s most current organizational chart and the UCI Agreement Matrix.
Director, Sponsored Projects
Sponsored Projects Administration
UCI Office of Research
5171 California Avenue, Suite 150
Irvine, CA 92697-7600
PH: (949) 824-2897
Fax: (949) 824-2094
*Sign up for the SPA listserv emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org“>email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org“>email@example.com