We are forwarding this message from the Council on Governmental Relations (COGR). The message is applicable to researchers who have or are seeking funding from NSF. Please redistribute as you feel appropriate.
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:31 AM
To: COGR Email List
Subject: COGR: NSF Update on Sequestration
The National Science Foundation has issued Important Notice 133A, an update to its Notice 133 which explained the impact of Sequestration on NSF operations for the remainder of the current fiscal year. The key information from the update is:
- NSF will fully fund all existing continuing grant increments in FY 2013;
- NSF directorates have now received full-year funding allocations, which will allow funding decisions to be made prior to the end of the fiscal year on September 30th;
- NSF expects to make fewer new awards in FY 2013;
- NSF will fully fund all FY 2013 major research equipment and facilities construction projects;
- Competitions for some programs and solicitations may not be conducted in FY 2013; and
- NSF staff will not be furloughed, allowing for no interruptions to the NSF proposal review and award decision making processes.
You may recall that the original Notice 133 indicated that 1000 fewer new awards would be issued this year.
The entire Important Notice 133A is at