The National Science Foundation has deployed a new Account Management System that will change how new users obtain an NSF ID for access to Fastlane & Research.gov. New users can now self-register for an NSF ID. Please see the notice below for details.
For individuals that already have an NSF ID, you will be asked to verify information about your account on your next log in to the system so that your account can to be transferred to the new system. No other action is needed.
For individuals that do not currently have an NSF ID, you can direct them to https://www.research.gov/accountmgmt/#/registration to begin the registration process. Please note that the roles associated with the account (for example, “PI”) will still be managed by the ERA team at the Institutional level.
Please feel free to contact the ERA Team at email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns.
Jonathan K. Lew, MPA
UCI Office of Research
141 Innovation, Suite 250
Irvine, CA 92697-7600
The National Science Foundation (NSF) is making major changes to the way the research community registers for NSF accounts and maintains account and user profile information in FastLane and Research.gov. Effective March 26, 2018, NSF introduced a new centralized and streamlined account registration process in Research.gov for the research community that will provide each new user with a single profile and unique identifier (i.e., NSF ID) for signing in to FastLane and Research.gov for proposal and award activities.
The new account management functionality will:
- Allow users to create and self-manage accounts, including personal information and role requests;
- Eliminate the need for organizational Administrators to create accounts and maintain profile information for their users, allowing Administrators to focus on managing roles for their organizations through a dashboard with functions to approve, disapprove, assign, and remove roles; and
- Replace the existing FastLane and Research.gov account management functions.
Existing NSF Accounts
Existing NSF account holders, will be migrated to the new account management system through a simple, one-time operation when initially signing in to FastLane or Research.gov. Account holders will be required to verify information to transfer it to the new system. Each user will have one NSF ID per the Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (NSF 18-1), Chapter I.G.4.
- Users with existing NSF accounts can access the NSF ID Lookup page for their NSF ID. Forgotten passwords for established NSF accounts may be retrieved here.
- New users will be able to register directly with NSF through Research.gov via this link: https://www.research.gov/accountmgmt/#/registration.