UC Irvine has been invited again this year by the Rita Allen Foundation to nominate a candidate for the Rita Allen Foundation Scholars Program, which provides support for research scientists in the early stages of their careers (i.e. Assistant Professor level appointment), in the areas of cancer, immunology and neuroscience.
The Foundation’s process is highly competitive; applications are reviewed and scored by the Rita Allen Foundation Scientific Advisory Committee which is comprised of leading scientists and clinicians. Finalists are invited to an interview with members of the Committee to provide an overview of their proposed research. Researchers ultimately selected will be designated as Rita Allen Foundation Scholars, and the affiliated institution will receive financial support from the Foundation of up to $110,000 annually, for a period of 5 years.
UCI may nominate only one candidate; therefore interested applicants (or their nominator) are asked to submit a preliminary application to the Office of Research (via UCI Review), with the following information by November 20, 2017:
- Internal application (up to three pages), including the following:
- The amount requested from the Rita Allen Foundation for your project
- A description of the work of the proposed program, including any potential key partners with whom you will collaborate and what you hope to learn.
- ½ page description of the current state of your field and how your research will impact the field.
- A description of how your program is early-stage, innovative and/or collaborative
- If relevant, a brief statement on how you will share your results with others
- List of other funders currently funding or interested in funding the proposed work
- Biosketch or abbreviated CV (no more than two pages)
- List of 5 individuals who will be called on to draft required letters of support (name/title/workplace only please, no need to solicit letters at this time). Two of these must be from outside UCI
- List of past, current and pending awards or other support (this is a requirement of the foundation that may affect their review and so it is necessary for the internal committee to also evaluate)
Following receipt of the internal applications, an ad hoc committee will be convened to review the proposals. The selected candidate will be notified in time to meet the December 8, 2017 deadline for the required institutional letter of inquiry and will be given assistance in completing the letter/obtaining signatures. Full proposals are due January 19, 2018.
For more information about the program, please visit http://www.ritaallen.org/foundation-scholars.htm and/or read the attached guidelines (2018-RAF-Scholar-Program-Grant-Guidelines_FINAL). Questions about the internal review process may be directed to Greg Ruth at email@example.com or x4-0372