The IACUC will be conducting its federally mandated semi-annual facility inspections during the next several weeks. During the inspections, IACUC members may request information and records related to your IACUC approved protocol and use of animals. Please arrange to have personnel available in your laboratory during the inspection period to answer questions and provide access to animal use records. For more information about the semi-annual facility inspections, please refer to the IACUC website at http://www.research.uci.edu/ora/acup/preparingforinspection.htm
The tentative schedule for facility inspections is listed below. (NOTE: Times are approximate, and the schedule is subject to change without further notification).
Tuesday, October 30, 1:00 – 4:00 pm
McGaugh Hall Vivarium
Wednesday, October 31, 1:00 – 4:00 pm
Beckman Laser Institute
Irvine Hall/Campus MRI
Thursday November 1, 1:00 – 4:00 pm
Gross Hall Labs and vivarium
Tuesday, November 6, 1:00 – 4:00 pm
Natural Sciences II Laboratories and Vivarium
Friday, November 9, 9:00 am to 12:00 noon
North Campus (APHEL and Aviary)
Steinhaus Classrooms and vivarium
Tuesday, November 13, 1:00 – 4:00 pm
McGaugh Hall Labs
Thursday, November 15, 9:00 am to 12:00 noon
Gillespie Labs and Vivarium
Friday, November 16, 1:00 – 4:00 pm
UCIMC Bldg 55 labs and vivarium
Monday, November 26, 1:00 – 4:00 pm
Med Sci Labs
Wednesday, November 28, 9:00 am to 12:00 noon
Med Surge II
Friday, November 30, 9:00 am to 12:00 noon
Hewitt Hall labs and vivarium (including ABSL 3)
Sprague Hall labs and vivarium
Monday, December 3, 9:00 am to 12:00 noon
Med Sci Vivarium and Annex
Wednesday, December 5, 9:00 am to 12:00 noon
Bonney Research Center Laboratories/Vivarium
BioSci 3 Vivarium
To assist you with preparing for this inspection, the list below describes those areas to which the IACUC inspection teams will pay special attention:
1. Expired drugs and medical materials must be discarded or appropriately labeled and segregated from non-expired material (see the campus policy for more information http://www.research.uci.edu/ora/acup/expireddrugs.htm )
2. All laboratory staff involved with the use of live animals should know what is in the approved protocols – what procedures are performed, whether anesthetics or analgesics are used, etc. Everyone in the lab must know where to find a copy of the most recent approved protocol documents (hard-copy or electronic).
3. Use of aseptic technique for survival surgeries, including proper sterilization of instruments (see the campus policy for aseptic rodent surgery, http://www.research.uci.edu/ora/acup/surgerypolicy.htm )
4. Controlled drug logs, surgical/post-operative/recovery records, breeding records and daily husbandry logs for housing variances must be current and available for review.
5. All personnel (including students) working within the laboratory must be enrolled in the EH & S Occupational Health Program by completing a Work Health History form on an annual basis. The form must be completed and resubmitted not less frequently than once per year, or when health status changes occur. For more information, please visit http://www.research.uci.edu/ora/acup/healthprogram.htm
6. Animal use space must be clean, orderly, and in satisfactory condition. Vivaria housing rooms and shared procedure spaces must not be used to store excess equipment or cages.
If you have questions regarding these inspections, please contact Melanie Fabian, IACUC Administrator, by telephone at (949) 824-8170 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.