The IACUC will be conducting its federally mandated semi-annual facility inspections during the next several weeks. During the inspections, IACUC members may request information and records related to your IACUC approved protocol and use of animals. Please arrange to have personnel available in your laboratory during the inspection period to answer questions and provide access to animal use records. For more information about the semi-annual facility inspections, please refer to the IACUC website at http://www.research.uci.edu/compliance/animalcare-use/research-policies-and-guidance/facility-inspections.html
The schedule for facility inspections is listed below. (NOTE: Times are approximate, and the schedule is subject to change without further notification).
Friday, May 2, 2014 – 9:00 a.m. – noon
Monday, May 5, 2014 – 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
McGaugh Hall Labs
Friday, May 9, 2014 – 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Gillespie Labs and Vivarium
Monday, May 12, 2014 – 9:00 a.m. – noon
Beckman Laser Institute, Irvine Hall/Campus MRI
Tuesday, May 13, 2014 – 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
UCIMC Bldg 55 – labs and vivarium
Thursday, May 15, 2014 – 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
North Campus, Steinhaus Classrooms and Vivarium, Reines Hall
Tuesday, May 20, 2014 – 9:00 a.m. – noon
Med Sci Labs
Wednesday, May 21, 2014 – 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Hewitt and Sprague Labs and Vivariums (incl ABSL3)
Thursday, May 22, 2014 – 9:00 a.m. – noon
Gross Hall labs & vivarium
Tuesday, May 27, 2014 – 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
MedSci Vivarium and Annex
Thursday, May 29, 2014 – 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
BioSci3 Vivarium, Bonney Vivarium, Bonney/Quershey Labs
Monday June 2, 2014 – 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Med Surge II
Wednesday, June 4, 2014 – 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
NatSci 2 Labs and Vivarium
To assist you with preparing for this inspection, the list below describes those areas to which the IACUC inspection teams will pay special attention:
1. Expired drugs and medical materials must be discarded or appropriately labeled and segregated from non-expired material. Refer to the IACUC policy for more information: http://www.research.uci.edu/compliance/animalcare-use/research-policies-and-guidance/drugs-in-animals.html
2. All laboratory staff involved with the use of live animals should know what is in the approved protocols – what procedures are performed, whether anesthetics or analgesics are used, etc. Everyone in the lab must know where to find a copy of the most recent approved protocol documents (hard-copy or electronic).
3. Use of aseptic technique for survival surgeries, including proper sterilization of instruments. Please refer to the IACUC Surgery Policy: http://www.research.uci.edu/compliance/animalcare-use/research-policies-and-guidance/surgery-policy.html
4. Controlled drug logs, surgical/post-operative/recovery records, breeding records and daily husbandry logs for housing variances must be current and available for review.
5. All personnel (including students) working within the laboratory must be enrolled in the EH & S Occupational Health Program by completing a Work Health History form on an annual basis. The form must be completed and resubmitted not less frequently than once per year, or when health status changes occur. For more information, please visit http://www.research.uci.edu/compliance/animalcare-use/training-education/occ-health-program.html
6. Animal use space must be clean, orderly, and in satisfactory condition. Vivaria housing rooms and shared procedure spaces must not be used to store excess equipment or cages.
If you have questions regarding these inspections, please contact the IACUC Administrative Office, by telephone at (949) 824-8664 or (949) 824-8984 or via email at IACUC@uci.edu.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.